An ADRIA Public Offering
We all have conflict in our lives. Whether you deal with others’ conflicts or have your own, becoming skilled in managing it can be a game-changer at home, at work, and at play. It may be tempting to say that the problem is “other people”, but we cannot change other people more than they want to be changed. Instead, students will learn ways to change what can be changed, the “negotiables”. In this course students will learn the importance of separating the person from the problem and skills that will help them discover previously unimagined possibilities for resolution.
This course is designed to give you the basic skills you need to more effectively manage conflict, including:
- Learn to separate the person from the problem, by:
- understanding your role in conflict
- learning to frame conversations around resolvable and neutral terms
- recognizing the difference between your perceived best solution and a wise solution
- Gain a deeper understanding of your own and other’s needs and motivations, including how to uncover them, through:
- reflection, active listening, curiosity, and commitment to resolution
- Find common ground and work towards resolution
- Practice skills that are essential to conflict resolution, including some of those used by mediators, principled negotiators, and peace builders.
This interactive and applied training is designed to get students applying key concepts and practicing conflict management skills from the start of the course, so students will leave the course feeling able to start applying their new skills.
This course may be eligible for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant (CAJG) if taken in combination with other courses (CAJG approved courses or combination of courses must be 21 hours in length). Please consult the CAJG website.
Coffee/tea and snacks will be provided. Lunch will not be provided, but there is a fridge and microwave for student use. A Safeway and food court is located downstairs on the main level of the mall. There is a Subway and Tim Hortons nearby.
Location: ADRIA Classroom, #225 Tower 1, 3697 Mill Woods Road NW (inside Millbourne Mall), Edmonton
Cost: $550 until April 20th (Early Bird Rate)
$595 After April 20th (Regular Rate)
* This course is not designed for individuals interested in pursuing a career in Mediation. For more information on ADRIA's Mediation training, please click here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.